Constituted 30th November 1892
Towards the end of the 19th Century, Corstorphine was a quiet village on the outskirts of Edinburgh. The advent of the railway meant that many people were moving into the area, including of course Freemasons.
Several brethren from various Lodges in the City of Edinburgh decided that a Lodge would be an asset to the village and they, along with other organisations, planned a community centre (Public Hall) for the village.
The Corstorphine Public Hall Company was formed and from the sale of shares and the hall was built and completed in 1892. Freemasons, many of whom were shareholders, were allocated a room suitable for use as a Masonic Temple.
Our Temple was small but full of character and was very much the same when it was destroyed by fire in 2013 as it was in 1892, except of course, we did have electricity. The Masters Dais incorporated a fine War memorial, which immortalises the brethren of the Lodge who gave their lives for their country during both world wars.
Visiting brethren were always assured a warm welcome and a trip back in time when they entered St. John Corstorphine No. 788.
After the fire, Lodge St John Corstorphine No.788 held their meetings at the premises of The Caledonian Lodge No.392 at Roseburn Gardens in Edinburgh for a few years, prior to securing the use of The Astoria Centre, at 18 Kirk Loan near to the old Public Hall.